*** Free Shipping (Canada) ***
LPs + ZEN = Magical combo.
You’ve spent years building your dream LP collection. We know because we have done the same!
The ZEN Phono is a wonderful enhancement to your vinyl setup. It will max out every MM/MC cartridge.
Full of AMR/iFi trickle-down vinyl technology, it will have you poring over your LPs into the wee, small hours.
Unlike any other entry-level phono stage. The ZEN Phono has:
- MM/MC from 36dB >72dB gain. Super-silent noise floor -151dBV
- Precise RIAA with Balanced output, performance comparable to +$1k phono stages
- AI sub-sonic filter. Addresses warp without eliminating bass or causing phase issues
Flagship phono amplifiers create their own power supply off the mains, like a mains regenerator. This is fundamental to a well-designed phono stage. Without this, it will struggle to amplify the signal without added noise. This is why phono stages ‘hiss’ so annoyingly.
Unusually, the ZEN Phono has its own high-tech clean power supply. It creates a 1.2MHz power supply (20,000x mains frequency of 60Hz). In this circuit, a 10uF filtering capacitor = 200,000uF at lower, audible frequencies. With serious levels of noise filtration, it performs at the level of well-designed LC filtering circuits as found in classic tube amplifiers. Further, located on its own ‘island’ PCB, it is isolated so there is no noise pollution of the analogue stage.
Just super clean +/- 12V DC.
Measured EIN (Equivalent Input Noise) is -151dBV. It is 20dBV quieter than some Stereophile Class A+ phonos which are -131dBV.
The EQ circuit uses multiple TDK C0G capacitors in parallel. This is for best stability and the least distortion. They beat polystyrene capacitors and are close to Teflon.
Already using the lowest tolerance capacitors combined with multiples in parallel, tolerance is exponentially improved by the square root of the number of capacitors. This is quite a natty circuit design.
The RIAA EQ tolerance level (+/- 0.15dB) is impressive as it is en par with hand-selected capacitors!
With great circuit comes great components
The ZEN Phono has some seriously good audio components backing up the fabrication circuit design which has trickled-down from its ultra-fidelity AMR PH-77 and iFi iPhono siblings.
The intelligent sub-sonic filter is from the iPhono range and is quite special.
Normal sub-sonic filters remove ‘rumble’ AND bass and cause phase issues.
The unique phono sub-sonic filter fron iFi Audio removes ‘rumble’ only.
- Gain settings: MC (v lo)@ 72dB (+/- 1dB), MC (lo) 60dB (+/- 1dB), MC (hi) 48dB (+/- 1dB), MM 36dB (+/- 1dB)
- AI Sub-sonic filter: Remedies only the 'warp' in LPs / No negative impact to bass response
- Max Output Voltage (RMS): 20v RMS bal output into 100k (< 1% THD & N), 13.5V RMS bal output into 600R (< 1% THD & N)
- Output Impedance: BAL 200 Ohm resistive, SE 100 Ohm resistive
- Input impedance: MM 47K Ohms, MC High 47K Ohms, MC Low 1.4K Ohms. MC V Low 110 Ohms
- Signal/Noise Ratio: 94dB(A) MM re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, 80dB(unweighted 80kHz BW) MM re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, 84dB(A) MC Hi re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, 71dB(unweighted 80kHz BW) MM re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, 90dB(A) MC lo re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, 79dB(unweighted 80kHz BW) MC lo re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, 79dB(A) MC vlo re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, 69dB(unweighted 80kHz BW) MC vlo re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL
- EIN (equivalent input noise): (0.6nV|/Hz (unweighted) MC lo/vlo) - 151dBV (A weighted) and 141dBV (unweighted), (6.5nV|/Hz (unweighted) MM/MC hi) -130dBV (A weighted) and -119dBV (unweighted)
- Harmonic Distortion: < -110dB / 0.0003% MM re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, < -80dB / 0.01% MC lo re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL, < -86dB / 0.005% MC vlo re 2V BAL/1V UNBAL
- Dimensions: 158 x117 x35 mm (6.2" x 4.6" x 1.4")
- Power Supply: DC 5V / 500mA
- Net weight: 515g (1.14 Ibs)
- Warranty: 12 months